Monday, August 29, 2005

All sorts of stuff for your Monday enjoyment

I meant to post this on Friday, but I forgot:
"The Los Angeles Times leads with Americans' newfound penchant for dipping into their home equity to finance snazzy lifestyles. The $59 billion U.S. homeowners took out of their houses in the second quarter of 2005 was twice what it was the year before, and a whopping 16 times what it was in the mid-90s. Meanwhile mortgage debt has risen 69% in the past five years and the savings rate is still at zero."

Our mortgage debt most likely pales in comparison to that number; we do not plan to tap our equity until we roll over into a new home, and our savings rate is currently about 4.25% (not counting Matt's 401K). We also don't have credit card debt, which puts us way ahead of the pack. All in all, I'd say we are doing pretty well.

Speaking of money (and religion, as it happens to be):

How true. I find it interesting that, on average, Christians contribute basically the same percent of their incomes as non-Christians, and that less than 4% of Christians say they tithe.

John Loftus was fired by Fox News for reading a family's address on air and saying that the people at that address were connected with the failed London bombings a few weeks ago. Turns out that the information was *three years* out of date. The family has been harassed and threatened for several weeks; Fox News has yet to apologize.

Unless you've been under a rock for the past three days, you know that Hurricane Katrina is about to turn New Orleans into the lost city of Atlantis. Maybe I should get that scuba certification after all, so I'll be prepared for Underwater Mardi Gras 2006.

Poker night and dinner on Sunday were both successful. Two events down, umpteen more to go before the end of the year.

2 comments:

Edge said...

Ya, my wife was the big tither when we met. I had huge debts. I can proudly say she and God showed me a better way. We tithe at least 10% and carry as little debt as possible. It's nice. We want a bigger house and yard for the kids. But I like dogberts opinions on his new religion. I could go into a long discussion on this, but it would hack people off.

~Jef

Courtney said...

We tithe, plus support several other people/things...it actually works out to almost 15% of our take-home pay.