Friday, August 19, 2005

Friday linkage

An honest look at why gas prices will never be solved through politics. I appreciate the suggestion at the end: "drive less." Thanks! Now I'll only go to work three days a week, because the government told me so! I also read a quote by some super-right-wing politician the other day, who said that buying SUVs (and thus more foreign oil) supports terrorism.

Penguin-suited activists - for all the Linux lovers out there.

And finally, the foot spa that Matt got me for my birthday. Sweeeeet.

2 comments:

Matt said...

They could solve it politically, but it would require growing some balls. All they have to do is go to OPEC and say, "Look, we'll give you $35/barrel for crude. Take it or leave it. I SUGGEST you take it."

Courtney said...

That's great in theory, but OPEC knows that they supply, what, 90% of the oil that the US uses, and all they have to say is "screw you" and we're in for a major problem. The truth of the matter is, OPEC holds all the cards and there's not much we can do about it other than reduce our dependence on oil (foreign or otherwise) period. And that's not likely to just up and happen any time soon.