Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My God is an awesome God!

So I've been doing this bible study, Believing God by Beth Moore. This past week was week 3, "Believing God can do what He says He can do." Sunday was apparantly a difficult day for Matt's family, and so after I had finished my daily "assignment," I was praying and I said, "Lord, You don't need me to tell You this, but now would be a really good time to step in with a miracle!"

Today, Matt's mom called me on my way to work to tell me that Julie had eaten her first solid food yesterday! They will be consulting with a therapist to start weaning her off the feeding tube (hopefully within the next few weeks or so). The therapist also said that patients are often able to start speaking soon after they can eat on their own.

So what have I learned this week?
1. My faith cannot be dependent on God's "performances" but rather on His promises.
2. God may prioritize the internal over the external; that is, the faith required to keep believing when I don't get what I ask for may be more important than the faith required to receive what I ask for.
3. God's timing is never late!

6 comments:

Staci said...

I wonder if my Dad's family would agree with your numbered bullets anymore. They've been praying for my dad's brother until blue in the face for 25 years now. A guy driving his 18-wheeler fell asleep and hit him, causing a major concussion and a subsequent vegetative state. Some of the most religious people I've ever known are the ones who have experienced the worst tragedies in life. So if it's praying that gets things done, why do only some people who pray get what they want? Scientifically, it doesn't add up to me.

I'm glad Julie is doing better, for whatever reason.

Courtney said...

I don't see how what you've said contradicts my first or second statement. If God doesn't answer my prayers, or answers them with a "no," that doesn't make Him any less powerful. It just means that He's got something more important going on. I can't say "I believe in God only because He does this for me" or "I don't believe in God because He didn't do this for me." I'm sure that tons of people have been through tragedies, religious or not. To that, I say see statement two. God isn't a "cosmic genie" that pops out to give me whatever I want, whenever I ask. There's an awfully big world out there, of which I am only a tiny part, and His goal is not to cater to my every whim (regardless of how "good" my whims may be), but to bring as many people as possible into His salvation and love and to help us develop better relationships with Him.

You might want to check out the bible study I'm doing...it might help you add things up.

Staci said...

I wasn't contradicting, just commenting. I was curious how people resolve these kinds of things.

Courtney said...

Let's say you have a friend. We'll call her Jane. Jane often takes you out to lunch, or walks your (imaginary) dog when you ask her to. One day, you ask Jane to walk your dog and she says "I can't, I have to visit my sick grandmother." Or you ask her to take you to lunch, and she said "I can't, I gave $20 to the homeless guy on the way to work this morning." So you tell Jane that you don't want to be friends with her any more.

Pretty silly, huh? But many people make the choice to have or not have a relationship with God simply because of the things they have or haven't gotten from him, when they can't see the entire picture.

As to why pray at all, If you have a cancer treatment that only works 50% of the time, or even only 10%, you won't say "Well, we should never try this treatment, because it only cures the patient 10% of the time." Likewise, you can't rule out praying as a whole because ALL your prayers aren't answered.

Staci said...

OK, I get what you're saying. But no thanks on the Bible study right now. I still have a twitch from the thrice-weekly hellfire and brimstone that was cast upon my unworthy soul for twenty years.

Courtney said...

I understand. But I can guarantee that there is no hellfire and brimstone in this bible study, and that while we're ALL unworthy, it doesn't matter to God. Let me know if you change your mind.