Friday, November 18, 2005

Bunches of stuffs

Okaaaay...so that post I promised the other day didn't happen quite on time. But here you go. For readability, I've decided to number things because I have a bunch of stuff.

1. Travel
So I went to New Jersey last weekend to visit people and get some stuff. I ended up with two bedside tables (Matt doesn't like them) and $2156. w00t! My cousins Rachel and Michael liked my laptop more than me, I think. I made the mistake of letting them play "Shark Dominoes" when I got there. I can't count how many times I heard "Let's just play Shark Dominoes" that weekend (sometimes even in the middle of another game). I also had my obligatory trip to The Spain (complete with mandatory lobster) and saw my Nana and Aunt Mary as well.

2. Movies
I really want to see Walk the Line. And Shark Boy and Lava Girl 3D is one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.

3. Temperature
It's really freaking cold out now. The other morning, I told Matt "It's 35 degrees outside." He checked weather.com and said "No, it's 36 degrees." I said "Okay then, let me get my shorts." The upside is that I can wear my cute pink-and-green-striped SBC scarf!

4. Traffic
So I thought it was going to take me 5 1/2 to 6 hours to get to NJ. I was supposed to be there around 2pm Friday. I got there at 11:45. However, I made up for it on Wednesday when it took me 2 hours and 10 minutes to drive 31 miles from work to church.

5. Pet Peeve
Something that's really been bothering me lately is when I make a space for you in traffic and either a) you don't take it or b) you don't give me "the wave." What happened to the wave? I do something polite, you acknowledge me. It's simple.

6. Cookies
I have 4 doughs made (out of 7). And I'm out of eggs. Stupid birds.

7. Links
The 11-Year Quest to Create Disappearing Colored Bubbles - this was a pretty cool article...who knew it would be so tough to make colored bubbles?

Superhero or Household Cleaner? - It's harder than you think. I got 14 out of 20.

8. Thesis Proposal
I have a hypothesis. Want to hear it? "Downregulation of Hif-1 alpha by an unknown mechanism confers an apoptotic advantage to a tumor cell but creates an angiogenic defect for the tumor mass, leading to increased early metastasis." Yeah, I know I'm awesome. I have 8 pages written.

9. More Awesomeness
This is quite possibly my best comment ever (scroll to the bottom of the comments list).

10. Football
VT versus UVA!! Should be a good game. I'm making chili. And cupcakes (I tried to do it last night; see #6). Ryan's making cornbread. You know you want to be there.

11. Marine Corps Quotes
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995

12. Census
Did you know that you are legally bound to respond to the US Census? And that if you refuse, or knowingly provide false information, you can be fined up to $500. The problem I have with this, is that it seems that the new census is asking for some increasingly private information, and citizens have no rights to refuse. Things such as what time you leave for work in the morning, how much you pay for insurance/property taxes/rent or mortgage, do you have disabilities, etc. Now I am not opposed to data aggregation; my problem is that you cannot opt out, and that all this information is tied to your social security number (as opposed to anonymous surveys). I don't like the idea that the government can come to my door and obtain any kind of information they wish under the umbrella of the census, and I have no rights to refuse.

13. Punctuation
Why am I incapable of hitting the " ' key on the first try? I always end up with a ; in my contractions.

14. To Be Continued?
I feel like there's more to say. I may edit this post throughout the day if I think of other stuff, so check back later if you care.

2 comments:

Ah nothing intresting here folks said...

This is so great!!1 I just moved from Gaithersburg only a few months ago. Sorry I was so excited to see someone from my old stomping grounds. Oh how I miss Maryland.

Matt Silverthorn said...

I was going to ask why you would miss living in Maryland, when I looked at your profile and saw you now live in Atlanta. I'm so sorry.