Saturday, April 15, 2006

Buying stuff

I finally got Matt to take the picture of me for the ING Savings Account photo contest. I think it turned out pretty well, even with the file compression (stupid size limits). Then I went to church to reweed my garden plot because they didn't mulch it last time I cleared it. The lilac bush we planted last weekend has already started budding new leaves, so I think it'll make it. I also planted some hostas that were donated by another church member.

We went out together to run some errands this afternoon. We got a new bathmat for the bathroom at Bed Bath & Beyond (although it took like 20 minutes for the lady with the ladder to find one in the right size). I had a 20% off coupon and a $20 gift card so it was only $14. Then we went to Target to get some new tennis balls and blank CDs. I also picked up a pack of pink poppy seeds (again for the garden plot). I stopped by Starbucks and got a free frappuccino from the nice guy that usually only works during the weekday mornings, and then we went to the grocery store to get a few things for the salad I'm bringing to my parents' place tomorrow (tomato, basil and fresh mozzarella with parmesan italian dressing).

The green tea frappuccino is not bad, but still not as good as the chai. I love me some chai.

We're listening to DC101 right now. I used to be a huge DC101 fan back in the day (we're talking like, 8-10 years ago). I even had the yellow DC101 loyal listener's card, although being 17 I didn't really get to use it much. But they're still playing a lot of the music that I listened to in high school - Bush, Live, Silverchair, Candlebox, etc etc. It's quite a nice nostalgic feeling. And it made me remember something from, I think 8th or 9th grade. Martha and I used to keep notebooks instead of passing loose notes to each other, and in one of them we were writing about CDs we wanted to get. I said that I was thinking about getting Nirvana's Nevermind, and she wrote "Nirvana? What happened to Amy, Bryan and Celine?" (Those being Amy Grant, Bryan Adams and Celene Dion, if you couldn't figure it out). Ah, youth. Come to think of it, I never did get that CD after all.

1 comment:

Steven H. said...

When WHFS got canned (and subsequently brought back but only in MD), DC101 became the only provider of Rock in the DC area. WHFS was an Infinity/CBS radio station, and DC101 is a Clearchannel station. Clearchannel dictates their programming format, and when HFS was around, DC101 was current rock, and HFS had a slant towards more 90's alt rock. When HFS went away, Clearchannel changed the "format" of DC101 to cast a wider net, to try and pull in the disenfranchized HFS listeners by adding the 90's alt rock that was popular on HFS, while still playing the current modern/hard rock format that they had. Thats why DC101 sounds like it did back in the 90's - a good thing, considering in most other areas where Clearchannel has their Rock station (most often around 101.1 on the dial), they only play the modern/hard rock stuff (Nickleback, Staind, Mudvayne, etc). A great example of this is Florida. They still have 2 rock stations - Real Rock 101.1 (Clearchannel) and ORock 105.9 (CBS/Infinity) - the formats played on those two stations are what it was like when DC101 and 99.1 hfs existed (hard rock vs. alt rock focus.). And that's your 2 minute foray into how the market dictates what you listen to!