Friday, April 28, 2006

We might have to move to New Hampshire

Did you know that the National ID proposal passed through the House and Senate last year, snuck into a military spending and tsunami relief bill? Yes, we are all slated to get National ID cards in 2008, probably with RFID chips, so that we will be able to do things like "travel on an airplane, open a bank account, sign up for Social Security or enter a federal building." Stop me if I'm wrong, but I thought I was already allowed to do all these things? The government must have forgotten that they don't *grant* me rights, they *protect* the rights that I already inherently have as an American citizen.

But DHS wants to go one step further even, and implement a global ID system.

"So this is how liberty dies, to the sound of thunderous applause."

5 comments:

Matt Silverthorn said...

Wow, a Star Wars quote. Nice, even if it is from Episode 1.

Courtney said...

I think George Lucas got it from somewhere else, but I can't remember the exact wording of the original so when I googled it, that's what came up.

Steven H. said...

I personally enjoyed seeing coverage of the Gestapo demonstrations that were going on in NH. But you do know Court, that because your hubby has a "special" access that was granted by big brother, your entire life was already scanned :) So, we've already lost!

Matt Silverthorn said...

Her life has been scanned since she was born because of her dad.

Courtney said...

Having been subjected to a background check because of other people is still quite a far cry from being forced to carry RFID-tagged nat'l ID cards, probably containing biometrics data, in order to do normal day-to-day activities. Who has access? What are the security precautions? What data is stored, for how long, etc etc etc.