Saturday, July 01, 2006

Card Dead

Ugh, those were the worst set of cards I've seen probably in the whole time we've been playing poker. I must have folded at least 200 hands that were face-cardless, or a face card with a lousy unsuited kicker. I also got pushed off of pocket pairs twice (10s and Js I think?) when the pot odds weren't there after the flop or turn. Somehow I managed to survive into 5th place (out of seven) and went out when I went all in with A-3. Steve, on the other hand, had crazy mad luck. He just couldn't lose, no matter what cards he was holding! It was absolutely insane, and he went on to win it over Mike in second. I can't remember what the hand was...A-K vs A-9 maybe, and Steve caught a K? I'm not sure.

Oh, and the duckies were invincible tonight! They didn't get beaten once the entire time. It was crazy how many twos were coming out on the board during the game. It was also crazy that we played for over 5 hours before anyone went out.

After the game, Matt McHugh and Steve stayed for a while longer and we watched The Constant Gardener. It was a pretty neat movie, especially in the cinematography. I'd recommend watching it, although I'm not sure if I'll buy it yet or not.

I think I need a new stereo...most of the night there was an annoying, intermittent tone coming in over the speakers. We fiddled with the wires and changing stations and whatnot, but it didn't seem to help much. Either one of the speakers is going, or the aliens were trying to send us a message.

7 comments:

Matt Silverthorn said...

Steve beat Mike with pocket twos over K3s. Mike hit two pair on the river, but Steve made his straight.

Courtney said...

Oh yeah, that's right - the undefeatable twos. But someone went out on a heads up where they both had the same high card (a K or A) but the winner paired their kicker.

eric said...

sorry carly and i missed the poker tournament. i'm great at being card dead!

Steven H. said...

Yes, it's true - I was wearing my robe and wizard hat of undefeatableness.

Courtney said...

Eric, you would have totally rocked this weekend then! We'll have to make sure to do the next one when you guys are free.

eric said...

good luck! i'm expensive :)

Courtney said...

Haha, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I just got that joke (Thursday).