Friday, July 28, 2006

It's OVER!

Another successful VBS under the belt.

Even though I didn't get home until after 9pm all this week.

Even though I have multiple bruises on both knees from crawling through our "tunnel" almost a dozen times.

Two criers, one farter, 5 days x 3 rotations = fifteen skits.

You *know* you want to know more.

So...
Day 1 = the story about the four friends who lowered the paralyzed man in through the roof to see Jesus. I was the person waiting for the "roofers" to come and fix the hole in the roof.
Day 2 = Lazarus. I was Lazarus's friend Levi.
Day 3 = Zebedee advertizing for two fisherman positions after his (her?) sons left to follow Jesus. I was Zebedee, and the kids didn't seem to notice the discrepancy.
Day 4 = Two people in a cave, hiding out from the Roman soldiers after Jesus died and was resurrected. And oh yes, we built a cave, complete with tunnels.
Day 5 = Ananias going to see Saul. I was Ananias, and other than referring to myself once as a man (because the script said that, and I didn't have the foresight to catch it before it came out of my mouth) it was fine.

Cute things: Several kids gave me a hug after their session on Day 2. On Day 3, one of the discussion questions for the groups was "What's so great about Jesus that would make someone want to drop everything and follow him?" Since I was telling the story in the timeline prior to Jesus's crucifixation, one kid had the insight that my character wouldn't know what happened in the rest of the gospel, and said "Well, we're fortune-tellers, and we know that Jesus is going to die for our sins." Also on Day 3, the very last part of the skit called for me to bring out Fluffy the Fish, a footlong croaker that Laura picked up for me at the Jessup fish market, for the kids to pet and whatnot. It was a hit. JC even kissed the fish, no second thoughts. He'll do anything for attention, I suppose. But as I was leaving, I saw him in the parking lot and I said "You know that fish was a BOY, right?" The look of utter disgust on his face was priceless. The two criers were on Day 4. They were worried about the Roman soldiers. And on Day 5, one kid asked his crew leader to take a picture of him with me, because it was his favorite station. The farter was also on Day 5. I guess they'll think twice next year before serving tacos at dinner. One crew leader got the giggles so bad during the skit that she had to excuse herself into the hallway so as not to cause an even bigger disruption :-)

Also funny, although not exactly qualifying as cute. This one kid, who previously had a "bowl" haircut of sorts, came in to VBS the second day with a crew cut. I saw him at dinner and said "Oh my gosh, you cut your hair!" He said "Yeah, I had lice." Oops.

So that's it, in a nutshell. The rest of my weekend? Tonight is bowling and pizza with the youth group. Tomorrow I am doing absolutely NOTHING but laze around the house, and I can't wait. I plan on putting a good dent into the first season of The O.C. And Sunday after church we're having lunch with Sean and Jen. Trying to squeeze all the time in we can before the baby. Their baby, not ours, duh.

Oh, and let me finish off with two (mildly humorous) tales of rudeness. Someone came into my advisor's office earlier this week, and said "I was told that you look at skin..." and starts taking her shirt off. My advisor was really weirded out and suggested that she make an appointment at the clinic. Afterwards, she (my advisor) comes out to us and says "Who does that?? I mean, if I was a gynocologist no one would come into my office and drop their pants and ask me to look at something!" The second thing that happened was in the parking garage a few days ago. I'm hurrying to the elevator, as the doors are about to close. The woman on the elevator (the only person there) looks me right in the eye...and lets the door close in my face. I was half a second too late to open it back up by pushing the call button. Come ON!

Anyway, that's about it. Have a great weekend!

No comments: