Monday, August 21, 2006

Holy crap, I'm 25

More on that in a moment. But first, last weekend, since it's been a while since I've posted. But not as much of a while as some people (cough*Steve*cough).

We went to NJ two weekends ago to stay with my grandma and go to a "going away party" for my cousins. Elizabeth is going to DeSales University and Laura is going to Rutgers (actually they're both already there by now). We left on Friday morning, and the worst traffic was at the Burger King at the first turnpike rest stop. The line took us over 30 minutes, ugh. We got there a little after 2pm, and played some Space Munchkin on the patio before dinner. We went out to dinner at The Spain, as usual, where much lobster, steak and seafood was had. On Saturday morning, we went over to Uncle Steve and Mel's place for some swimming and lunch. After we had showered and changed, we made our way out to Glen Gardner for the party. It was a good time, tons of food and all. We mostly hung out with my cousin Billy and his girlfriend Alicia, and played two games of Space Munchkin with them (which they thoroughly enjoyed). We came home on Sunday without too much traffic and fuss.

During this week, I've been ordering birthday gifts with money/gift cards I received while in NJ. My grandma gave me some money so I could get a travel jewelry case, and after a bit of hassle with FedEx it came on Friday. I got a Borders gift card from my aunt and uncle, so I ordered some books for my upcoming flight - The Time Traveller's Wife, Naked, and Black Bodies and Quantum Cats. I also got a "grown-up" coloring book with abstract geometric patterns. And of course I had previously ordered stuff from Old Navy with birthday money from Matt's parents and grandma. I plan on ordering just a few more things from there with a little bit more b-day money I have from them and my uncle. Matt gave me a peridot and pearl necklace, chocolates and colored pencils for my new coloring book. I am also eagerly waiting on my parents' gift, which they said wouldn't ship until the 25th.

Okay, on to birthday weekend. We got to Norm and Laura's place outside of Deep Creek Lake, elevation 2600ft, around 4pm (there was a fair bit of traffic in spots on I-70, so it took a little longer than we thought). We played croquet on the front lawn after we got there (Matt won) and then had dinner. Then we went to a scenic overlook for the sunset, and to Lakeside Creamery for ice cream. That night we had a campfire and toasted marshmallows in the woods behind their place. Saturday after breakfast, we went horseback riding. I had a horse named Trudie, and she was initially very stubborn (all she wanted to do was stop and eat). I think we eventually came to an understanding though, and it was a nice ride. We had picked up some sandwiches at Subway on the way over, and we went to Swallow Falls State Park for a picnic lunch. Then we spent several hours hiking around the falls and climbing on the rocks in and around the water. We took a scenic route back to the house, stopping at CandyLand on the way - it's a little roadside store that had aisles and aisles of bulk candy. We all had a good time filling up bags of different stuff. After dinner there was cake and ice cream, and sparklers. We ended the evening watching the new Jim Gaffigan stand-up comedy DVD that Kim and Mike sent me for my birthday present (thanks guys!) We were going to go do some more hiking on Sunday at a glacier swamp, but it rained in the morning so we just went out for breakfast and then lounged around playing games and reading until about 3pm when we closed the house up and headed out, stopping off at The Dip for some more ice cream. The trip back took a lot longer because of all the traffic, so Matt and I went out to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner where I had some delicious crab legs.

All said, it was a great weekend, and today has been a pretty lazy day at work. I'm probably going to leave early so I can go to the Columbia Mall and get my engagement ring cleaned and checked, and stop by Old Navy to see if they have a shirt I've wanted but has been sold out online. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Flickr photoset of weekend pictures here. More "artistic" pictures from the weekend are on the photoblog.

2 comments:

Matt Silverthorn said...

Haha, you're old. But I still love you.

Courtney said...

Joke's on you, you're older :-P