Saturday, January 13, 2007

2006 year in review

So I did this last year...seemed like a good thing to do this year too.

1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before? Traveled overseas

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I didn't make any last year, but I like Carly's idea about not worrying so much about what other people think of me for this year's. I also want to finish up a couple workbooks that I've started.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Gillian (Morwen) and Jen (Bennett)

4. Did anyone close to you die? Matt's grandmother, Mima, who was very close to me as well

5. What countries did you visit? Iceland (briefly) and The Netherlands

6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006? a pink Nintendo DS lite

7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? November 3rd, for taking a large step forward in a personal matter

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Getting my first A+ in grad school (in Cellular and Molecular Basis of Disease; I didn't even know they gave out A-plusses) and stopping reading someone's webpage

9. What was your biggest failure? labwork

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? had the flu

11. What was the best thing you bought? I bought Matt a flat-panel monitor for our anniversary

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Matt

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? George W. Bush and the accuser in the Duke "rape" case

14. Where did most of your money go? skiing, music, and my old navy credit card

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? VaCo show, Movin' Out, spa trip at Foxwoods, going overseas, Kim and Mike's wedding

16. What song will always remind you of 2006? This Is Him (Hurricane Song) by Virginia Coalition

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier
ii. thinner or fatter? about the same
iii. richer or poorer? slightly richer

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? laughing

19. What do you wish you'd done less of? commuting (still) and worrying

20. How will you be spending Christmas? We went to my parents' for Christmas eve and Christmas morning, and then flew down to SC on Christmas day for a week.

22. Did you fall in love in 2006? Same answer as last year: With the 80s! (song reference)

23. How many one-night stands? I still can't think of anything funny to put here.

24. What was your favorite TV program? Lost, How Do I Look

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? no one new comes to mind

26. What was the best book you read? My Sister's Keeper and The Time Traveler's Wife were both very good

27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Alexi Murdoch, Ryan Adams, Chris Joyner

28. What did you want and get? a thesis proposal and committee meeting, amazingly still managing to be the first one in my class to do so. And all three Postsecret books.

30. What was your favorite film of this year? Chronicles of Narnia

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 25 - spent the weekend at Deep Creek Lake with friends from church

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? someone to come clean the bathroom

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006? Old Navy, pretty much

34. What kept you sane? still God, I don't think there's any other explanation

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I still don't say fancy, but I guess Stephen Colbert and Finola Hughes

36. What political issue stirred you the most? OTC birth control, from the FDA director ignoring his panel's recommendations to "activist" pharmacists

37. Who did you miss? Matt and Sarah, Ryan

38. Who were the best new people you met? Adam and Kristin, Jeremy and Ashley, Nick, Archana, Amena, Swathi, Tito. I met a LOT of people this year.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006: If you're at your lowest, you've got nowhere to go but up.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: "Now I'm sunny with a high of 75 since you took my heavy heart and made it light, and it's funny how you find you enjoy your life when you're happy to be alive" - Relient K again, interestingly

2 comments:

Carly said...

Hey, this has nothing to do with your post, but did matt mention the thing on 1/27 (8pm)? Are you interested? Let me know :-)

Courtney said...

Yes he did, and I am VERY interested!