Monday, June 25, 2007

Monster post

Feel the burn, baby. And why, for a moment, did I just forget how to spell "monster?"

Work: Meh, don't ask. Although the one bright spot is that we are trying to get a corporate sponsor for a table at the American Skin Association's black tie fundraising gala in October...in the Rainbow Room of Rockefeller Center. I already have my eye on a dress, just in case. Yeah, it's in a kooky catalog. But the dress...mmmmm. Oh, and the lab is going to the Orioles game tomorrow night. I really only work for the perks, it's true.

Telemarketers: I guess it's not really fair to call them telemarketers, because telemarketers aren't allowed to call us. More like, telesolicitors? Anyway. We've been getting a lot of calls from the ACLJ lately. Not to be confused with the ACLU, oh no no no. We usually ignore calls from solicitors and numbers we don't recognize (although if we hear your voice on the answering machine, we'll pick up, we promise!) But the ACLJ has been calling 3-4 times a week for weeks on end, sometimes before 9AM (the FCC only permits calls between 9AM and 9PM). Now, it hasn't been egregious calling (i.e. 7AM or something). But coupled with the volume of the calls, I had had just about enough when the phone rang at 8:45 this morning. I answered, waited for the computer dialing system to alert the caller that someone had actually picked up, and when I asked who it was she didn't give me her name or organization. I told her "You're in violation of FCC regulations for calling before 9AM and we'd really appreciate it if you took us off your calling list, thank you" and hung up. If they call again, they're toast. As an aside, it totally tickles me that my online spell check says that ACLJ is misspelled and offers ACLU in the possible spellings list.

MRI: No, I'm fine. I did, however, get screened and selected for a research study on functional MRI scanning. I'm getting paid $70 for a couple hours of my afternoon on July 26th. The study is about distraction - I'll be continuously scanned in the MRI while watching a silent film, and various distractions (puffs of air, sounds in the headphones, etc) will come in randomly. I'm in the 20-30 age group, and the MRI scans will be compared to scans of people in the 60-70 age group to look for differences. I think it sounds fun :-)

Anniversary: Man, I think Morton's might be my new favorite restaurant. We went to the one in Bethesda on Friday, and it was AWESOME. And freaking expensive - we set a new record for most expensive dinner ever. We had bacon-wrapped scallops for an appetizer, and then got steaks (ribeye for Matt and filet mignon for me, as usual) with garlic green beans and crispy shredded potatoes on the side. Okay, it's a hash brown. But a CLASSY hash brown. I tried a pinot noir, and it was okay, but the quest for a red wine I really like is still on. Matt got me Godiva chocolates and a pair of earrings with my birthstones and tiny diamonds; I got him a "stack o' fun" consisting of various things from amazon.com - books, CDs and DVDs.

Weekend: Last weekend, we didn't do anything. It was great. The only times we left the house was to go to church Sunday morning, and to go swimming Sunday evening. Matt was playing poker Sunday afternoon, so I watched movies from On Demand. I saw The Birdcage, which I had seen before and is definitely funny; Noises Off, which is a film adaptation of a play I saw several years ago (and the play was funnier than the movie, although the movie was decent); and finally, Xanadu. The only words to describe Xanadu are Olivia Newton-John, Gene Kelly, roller skates, the Electric Light Orchestra, and trippy animated effects. It was...strange. Next weekend, however, will be much busier. I have two parties to go to on Saturday - a bridal shower for a girl at work at noon, and a engagement/housewarming/birthday barbeque that a guy from work is having at 4.

Travel: I'll be in Colorado in 19 days...it's coming so fast! And Carly sent out the vacation details e-mail today, which made me really excited for that as well. I was totally stoked to find out about her parents' seafood feast...crabs, shrimp, and clams are some of my favorites! I told Carly this today and she asked me "Where have you BEEN all my life???" Hehehe, right here, love, right here.

Bad Jokes: Our lab technician, Nick, is from England. And he likes to tell bad jokes. Really, really, really bad jokes. I offer you two of his latest masterpieces. Say them out loud for the best effect. 1. What do you call a sleepwalking nun? A roamin' Catholic. 2. What did the bra say to the hat? "You go on a head, I'm going to give the girls a lift."

Alright, I think that's about it for now...the tortellini is almost ready. Chow (hahaha I'm funny too)!

6 comments:

Izzo said...

I absolutely love Xanadu. It's such a great movie. And if you didn't already know, I looooove bad movies. The cheesier, the better. And that's way up there on the Cheetos scale: dangerously cheesey! In fact, my sister and I are going to see the Xanadu on Broadway in a couple of weeks. Yay!

Courtney said...

Haha, why doesn't this surprise me :-) On Broadway, really? Is ELO actually playing? Is Olivia Newton-John actually skating? Tell me more, tell me more!

Izzo said...

Is ELO still even, you know, around? And when I say "around," I mean, are they even all alive? Anyway, I'll give you the 4-1-1 after I've seen it. Well, after I've been to awesome and back, that is.

Courtney said...

According to Wikipedia, all of the main band members (i.e. not the guest musicians) except one are still alive. The band had a reformation in 2000 and released an album in 2001. And it all must be true, because I read it on the internet.

Robyn said...

Still looking for red wines? Derrick & I like Clos Du Bois pinot noir and Red Diamond Merlot...

Courtney said...

I think the pinot noir I had was from Wild Horse. I think I've had merlot before but it's not jumping out at me at the moment. I'll have to give those a shot sometime :-)

But really, nothing so far beats a nice glass of Santa Margharita pinot grigio. Yum.