Sunday, October 28, 2007

Tragically hip

We went to DC Friday night. It's not something that we do a lot, but Matt Skinner and his girlfriend Shelly were in town for the weekend...announcing their engagement!! So we met them and Matt Green (Matt Cubed reunited again!) at Fogo de Chao over in Federal Triangle for dinner. It. Was. FANTASTIC. Oh my goodness. It's a Brazilian barbeque, which equals all-you-can-eat meat. And I mean, fantastic meat - bacon-wrapped filet mignon, seasoned ribeye and top sirloin, roast leg of lamb, lamb chops, sausages, chicken, beef and pork ribs, etc etc. They have 14 kinds of meat in all. And they have these guys ("Gauchos") that just run around with all these meats on big sticks, and whenever you flip your "card" from red to green, there's a guy there to serve you. And they keep coming until you flip your card back to red. And so it goes. They also had a huge salad bar, amazing cheese rolls, fried bananas, mashed potatoes and fried polenta. Our table was right next to the kitchen...in a regular restaurant, this is usually less than desirable but here it meant we got first pick at every meat coming hot off the grill. It was incredible. And incredibly expensive. But worth it.

After dinner we went to Dupont Circle and got into the tres exclusive 18th Street Lounge. And I'm not kidding, go google it, and you'll come up with descriptions like "beautiful people," "velvet rope," and "so chic it doesn't advertise." The last is definitely true, the second is technically not, and the first could be debatable. Anyway. Skinner's now-fiancee Shelly went on some kind of peace corp-like thing with a guy named Dennis (from Kenya, who was visiting DC for a couple weeks). Dennis is good friends with Lars, who coordinates a lot of the programs. Lars is a big-wig at the club. Oh, the connections you'll make! So Lars talked us past the bouncer (despite Matt's tennis shoes, what was he thinking??) And we spent an hour or so listening to club music at a reserved table and feeling the coolness exude from the walls and wash over us unworthies, hehe.

Saturday, I had a decent College Pick'em weekend - 5 out of 10 for 36 points, so not my worst week. Cal disappointed me again, as did Florida (Bah!!) but four of my five incorrect picks were at the bottom so overall the damage wasn't too bad. I'm still securely in my lead at 340 points, but only 3 points separate 2nd and 4th place, so next week should get interesting. I hope I have internet access at the conference to do some editing, because last year not being able to edit picks did not serve me well. Although with the way things have been going lately, it might not matter!

I didn't go to church this morning. I've been so exhausted lately, and I had a horrible headache when the alarm clock went off this morning...the kind I immediately recognize as being more curable by a couple extra hours of sleep than by a whole bottle of aspirin. So I slept until noon and I feel better now.

I forgot my AC adapter this weekend and I've run under 50% of my battery (although it's only that high because I used Matt's laptop to keep track of scores last night) so I'll go ahead and end this now. I'm going to be in NYC in four days...that snuck up on me something crazy. Oh, and my cashmere sweaters are coming tomorrow!

No comments: