Sunday, December 30, 2007

Decisions, decisions

Every year I have to decide how to spend my Christmas money. It's always a struggle! This year, I got some shirts from Old Navy, and the heart "I got the beat!" t-shirt from IHeartGuts.com - I know, I'm a nerd :-) Then, I was thinking about going for a massage with the rest. But I ended up ordering an espresso machine and a case of syrup flavorings (case = 6, and you can mix them up so I got my "favorites" - Amaretto, Caramel, Cinnamon, Dark Chocolate, Gingerbread, and Vanilla). So hopefully the machine will work well and based on how often I go to S'bucks (at least 2x a week) I figure it should start paying for itself in about 3-4 months. After that it's pure profit, baby!

I also had to decide if I wanted to wait until next month to order, because I'll be getting a $5 amazon.com gift certificate from one of my survey sites. But Matt told me it wasn't worth it to wait so I just went ahead and ordered.

One last thing - I refuse to give any credence to an online review for an "expresso machine."

----------

I did our budget updating and bill-paying tonight; there were some good parts and bad parts. The bad part is that we ate out waaaaay too much and are pretty much not going out to dinner until like Valentine's Day. The good part is that, as of January 2nd, we completely own Matt's car! And we are on track to pay mine off by May. I also did our tax estimation, and we have finally gotten our federal refund to under $300 (which is perfect). But I think our state refund is still too large (IMNSHO) so we'll have to play with the withholdings again this year. And then we'll probably have to do it again next year because hopefully by the end of '08 I'll have a real job.

----------

I usually don't make new year's resolutions but I do like to have goals. This year, I'd like to pay off my car, open a Roth IRA, keep better tabs on our discretionary spending, and go "pro" with our Nerdy Babies site. And finish grad school, obviously, but I think that was implied by the previous paragraph. As I said recently on my Facebook page, "I'm either walking at graduation in 2009 or just plain walking."

No comments: