Tuesday, January 08, 2008

And we're off

Espresso Machine Day 1: "Well, I'm going to go make a latte or blow up the kitchen." "Okay."

So I got the espresso machine and syrups last night, got everything set up on the counter and read the instructions half a dozen times. This morning, I measured, I brewed, I steamed, I sprinkled, and I ended up with something vaguely resembling a Starbucks cinnamon dolce latte.

A very, very strong latte. I brewed too much espresso and then instead of putting all the steamed milk in first and then adding espresso to fill, I did it the other way around. Oops. But all in all, not bad for a first attempt, and I successfully depressurized the machine without scalding my arms or blowing up the kitchen.

Changes for tomorrow: Use a little less ground coffee, and stop brewing a little short of the 2-shot mark. And I can steam the milk a little longer, because I certainly had an abundance of steam left over when I was done today.

Two purchases to make my life easier: syrup pumps (because opening the cap, measuring the syrup, recapping the bottle, and washing the tablespoon are cumbersome) have been ordered, and I'm buying a 2-cup measuring cup because mine is only 1-cup and steaming 1 cup of milk in a 1-cup measuring cup leaves little room for error (I used a separate mug today; one more thing to wash).

----------

We got Matt's title release in the mail yesterday, it makes me all warm and fuzzy to look at it :-) And then today Matt tells me he got an e-mail from ASM saying that they're getting rid of bonuses for everyone except managers. I was about to say "Well, at least they already gave you yours for 2007" but then he tells me that they're just going to adjust his salary (hopefully by the same amount or more). So I guess that works out fine. Cancel the visions of the Jelly of the Month Club that were running through my head. ("But it's the gift that keeps on giving all year!")

----------

I'm working on scheduling a committee meeting for the second half of February. I jokingly said "I guess that means I'm actually committed to doing some work over the next six weeks now" and two separate people thought I was serious. Come on guys!

No comments: