Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Getting better

Espresso Machine, Day 2: "Perhaps we don't need QUITE that much espresso..."

I decided to stick with the cinnamon dolce latte attempt for today. I used a bit less espresso in the filter, and stopped brewing halfway between the 1 and 2 mark (note to self, those are 1 and 2 SERVINGS, not 1 and 2 ounces). I still ended up with a little over the 2 mark, but I poured a bit out to get it back in between the 1 and 2 mark - giving me roughly 2.5-3 ounces of espresso, instead of what was probably 6 or 7 yesterday. No I didn't drink the entire thing yesterday. I steamed the milk for a full minute too, and strangely there was no steam left when I was done. Shrugs. When I poured everything into the mug, it came to the perfect level (just enough room for whipped cream) and the milk was foamier this time as well. Result? A MUCH more drinkable beverage than yesterday. And I didn't need to add more syrup because I could actually taste it today instead of having it overpowered by the coffee. Fairly Yum.

So now I can't wait for Tuesday so I can redo our budget numbers. We upped Matt's retirement contribution by a percent, and we'll have some wiggle room to allocate more money towards gas since it's projected to be $3.50/gallon by summer. I cannot WAIT to stop commuting 500 miles a week and getting gas every other weekday.

I was thinking about opening a ShareBuilder account to start investing in some ETFs (Exchange-Traded Funds) but decided against it for now because we should max out our tax-advantaged accounts before we start investing in a taxable account. So that'll have to wait for a while.

Once we get my car paid off in March (and take care of a few small things like my car registration renewal and new tires for Matt's car and our vacation deposit) we should be in good shape for the rest of the year.

No comments: