Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I weep for humanity

We get security alert e-mails whenever crime takes place in or around the Hopkins campus. I got one today - attempted armed robbery off-campus. Six suspects, two armed with knives, approached a Hopkins employee and tried to steal his cell phone (unsuccessfully, there was a security guard right there).

Suspect description: Six African-American males, ranging from 8 to 14 years of age.

I don't remember exactly what I was doing when I was 8 years old, but it sure as hell didn't include armed robbery attempts.

UPDATED - apparently these "thugs" tried this crap several times yesterday. Once they stopped a guy and demanded money, and he just kept walking; the second time they actually pulled a guy's wallet out of his pants and took the $40 cash he had on him (another reason why I don't carry cash, as a habit).

I can't help but think that if I ran into these kids, I'd just grab the smallest one by his ear and march him up to a security guard.

No comments: