Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Projects

I have a lot of stuff for this summer.

After I finish another little cross stitch project on my plate, I'm trying something way bigger - Van Gogh's "Sunflowers" (one of my favorite paintings) as a cross stitch. It's about 31,000 stitches, and the first time I've tried to do a full canvas stitching. It'll probably take me a good while - probably at least 50 hours.

I also decided to try a little sewing project. After I saw this skirt pattern done on A Dress A Day, I thought I'd give it a shot. I've never done much sewing outside of flat objects and hemming/mending, so it should be an interesting challenge. I plan on making the easiest one (A-line, no pleats) for starters, in something Sweet Briar-y. Erin at A.D.A.D. did hers in about 2 hours, but she is a beast. I'm going to guess at least 6 for me plus shopping time.

I have to finish writing/revising a review article that we've been putting together, and I should have another little article to write up before the end of the summer...maybe two depending on how things go.

I have a bunch of books on my reading list as well. I bought Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris over a month ago and haven't had a chance to start it yet (and he's got another one, When You Are Engulfed In Flames, coming out next week!). There's still two books in the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child series that I haven't read yet: Dance of Death and Book of the Dead. They also have a new book out that looks interesting, The Wheel of Darkness. Someone from church gave me a copy of J. Craig Venter's autobiography, A Life Decoded. And Stephen King has a new novel out this year, Duma Key. All together, that's almost 3000 pages of reading; roughly 35-45 hours at my pace. Yeah, I read super fast.

I can't wait for vacation so I can put a dent in some of this!

2 comments:

KB said...

Enjoy your full canvas xstitch project! I finally finished my Van Gogh's Wheatfield with Cypresses project ... it took forever, but the finished product was totally worth it!!

Courtney said...

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. Perhaps someday I'll have a full gallery of "untraditional" Van Goghs!