Sunday, June 01, 2008

2 outta 3 in just under 5 months!

I had three goals in my new year's post.

1. Pay off my car. Made the last payment in March! It feels so great not having any car loans.

2. Open an IRA. Done! I opened my Roth IRA at Vanguard Friday night. I feel like such a grown-up. I decided to go with their Mid-Cap Growth fund to start, which turned out to be a really good thing! They have this neat analysis tool that lets you include outside accounts, so I put in all the info for Matt's 401k and it turned out that his funds were ALL large-cap and small-cap companies. So this will provide some much-needed balance. And come July (when we're upping M's 401k contribution %) we'll be right on target for savings.

Still working on #3 (graduate). Megan gave her thesis talk Friday afternoon, so I guess that makes me "officially" next. Pressure's on.

----------

We do not have any free weekends in June. We're going hiking with C&E this coming Saturday and having dinner with Norm and Laura on Sunday. The weekend after that is Skinner's wedding in B'ham (I think we're going to have to rent a car, bah). The Saturday after that is Nicole's wedding in Richmond, and then our 5 year anniversary/white-water rafting trip that Sunday. The weekend after that Matt and Sarah are coming up. Whew!

I got 36.75 mpg on my last tank of gas :-)

2 comments:

Eric said...

i have some money in vanguard's index 500 fund. i really like them. good website, nice quarterly statements, good returns on most funds.

Courtney said...

Yeah, I did research and Vanguard consistently came out on top. I especially like the low expense ratios, and once I opened the account I found that I really like their analysis tools.