Monday, June 23, 2008

Unbelievable (OH!)

The Pew Trust released results of a survey on America's religious landscape. I am intensely suspect of any conclusions they present, based on this one reported statistic: 21 percent of self-identified atheists said they believe in God or a universal spirit, with 8 percent "absolutely certain" of it.

If you can't even get that one right by definition (A-Theist) then how can I believe anything else presented?

----------

I got the "sad ipod" icon on my ipod while we were in Birmingham. I checked Apple support online when we got home, which was completely worthless. Circular "non-help" like the fact that when I plugged my ipod into my computer, it didn't show up in windows or in itunes. One of Apple's suggestions? "Your ipod may need to be reset." Which you can't do if it doesn't show up in itunes!! The bottom of their "help" page said that my ipod needed to be serviced by an Apple technician, which according to the internet costs between $100-200. So I kept digging.

I found a message board thread about someone who had the same problem and had said that hitting your ipod against a hard surface, charger port side down, solved the problem for him and many other people. I was skeptical, but figured "What have I got to lose?" So I turned it off, whacked it on the table and turned it back on. AND IT BOOTED BACK UP!

Apparently the principle is that the hard drive cable sometimes works itself loose if it gets jostled around a lot, and that hitting it against something (in that specific direction) jolts the cable back into place. I can't say for certain if it's true, and I take no responsibility if you break your ipod. But it worked for me. YMMV.

----------

I saw the most amazing rainbow ever on the way home. Two full arcs! I was so disappointed that I didn't have our camera with me, but I stopped and took a picture with my cell phone anyways (I could only get about 1/3 of the arc in the frame). It doesn't do it one bit of justice, but maybe you'll get just a little idea of what I got to see.

2 comments:

Knot said...

For years, and I mean decades years, Apple has had a problem with stuff coming undone or loose. I used to have to drop my Apple IIe on the table to re-seat the chips. Heat would push them up.

Knot

Courtney said...

Weird. I think mine came loose because I carry my ipod around in my purse all the time and so it gets bumped around a lot.