1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before? Got a PhD!
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I did all three last year - paid off my car, opened a Roth IRA, and graduated (in that order). This year I want to open Matt's IRA, exercise more, and complete the "read through the bible" reading plan.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Molly (Henry), Ashley (Aubrey) and Nancy (Macy Jane)
4. Did anyone close to you die? My great aunt Annie
5. What countries did you visit? Just the US this year
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? A 401K account
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? December 18th - my thesis talk!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Getting a PhD
9. What was your biggest failure? Not having a job by the time I was done with grad school
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Came down with a stomach virus (possibly a norovirus) on New Years Day and was sick for nearly a week.
11. What was the best thing you bought? a cashmere hoodie, wii fit, new bible
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Matt
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Going to keep this answer private this year for the sake of avoiding teh dramas
14. Where did most of your money go? My Roth IRA, woohoo! And Old Navy, of course.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? vacation, SBC reunion, making the last car payment for a long, long time
16. What song will always remind you of 2008? "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? same
ii. thinner or fatter? fatter (but certainly not fat!)
iii. richer or poorer? roughly the same, but about to be poorer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? exercising
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? worrying about things and people I can't control
20. How will you be spending Christmas? Spent christmas with my family
(Why did it take me four years to realize there's no #21?)
** I'm going to add 21. How will you be spending New Year's Eve? Exchanging gifts and dinner with Matt's extended fam, and then over to Eric and Emily's place. **
22. Did you fall in love in 2008? After 4 years, I'm tired of this question. It doesn't apply to old ball-and-chains like moi.
23. How many one-night stands? After 4 years, I'm tired of this question too. Do people even answer this when they HAVE one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program? CSI
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read? A Life Decoded was pretty neat
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Jackson Rohm
28. What did you want and get? Personalized license plates and an iPod touch (thanks Matt!)
30. What was your favorite film of this year? Burn After Reading was hilarious
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 27, and on my actual birthday I was busy getting ready for my thesis committee meeting the next day. But on the weekend before that we played tennis with C&E, went to a Maroon 5/Counting Crows concert, went to see BodyWorlds 2, and went to dinner at Ruby Tuesdays.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? more certainty in my life plans
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? Just my usual cuteness
34. What kept you sane? A light at the end of the tunnel, finally.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Eli Manning
36. What political issue stirred you the most? The presidential election
37. Who did you miss? Randi
38. Who were the best new people you met? Eric and Emily, Matt Duis
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008: If at first you don't succeed, try try again?
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: "Look around you now, you must go for what you wanted. Look at all my friends who did and got what they deserved. And there's so much time to make up everywhere you turn, time we have wasted on the way. So much water moving underneath the bridge, let the water come and carry us away." - Crosby, Stills and Nash
(YIR 2007, 2006, 2005)