Thursday, January 08, 2009

Calculator rubbish?

There is a calculator on the internet that estimates your body fat percentage, and according to their math, I (at 32.39%) am just barely obese (32%+). I admit to carrying some "junk in the trunk" but it seems a bit of a stretch, since a BMI of 22.46 puts me solidly within the normal range (18.5-24.9) and a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.72 is considered to be a low health risk. Anyone else want to try and either post or IM me their results?

(PS - cross-posted to my Facebook page, so you can respond there as well).

UPDATE - I believe there is an error in their calculator program, because when I do the math out myself using the formula they list, I get a much more respectable and healthy 26.47%.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I had my body fat percentage professionally measured in high school. (I forget if it was for the track or wrestling team.) The results at the time showed 9%. I just plugged my weight and waist measurements from that time into the calculator, and it told me 16.5%. So no, I wouldn't put much stock in this calculator. Of course, I wouldn't put much stock in most online calculators of any type.

Matt Silverthorn said...

If it doesn't work, then how did it get on the internet, Eric?! EXPLAIN THAT!