Sunday, April 19, 2009

Where does the time go when it's not around here?

I too agree with Matt that this week has flown!

After getting through the Easter festivities, church quieted down for a bit. We finally finished the book of Acts in our Wednesday night bible study and are getting ready to start Amos. I think it'll be a fun discussion!

Friday night we went out to Centreville to eat at Sweetwater Tavern for Jim's (belated) birthday. I had a very yummy lobster bisque and house salad, which I believe was my inspiration for salad at home...theirs is mixed greens, tomatoes, pine nuts, spiced pecans, dried cranberries, dried figs (or dates?), fried goat cheese round, and a champagne vinaigrette. I wonder if I can get dried figs at the grocery store? I also had two glasses of their very yummy homemade root beer :-)

We decided to take advantage of the awesome weather on Saturday after I got back from volunteering, and headed out to do some hiking. Unfortunately everyone else in Fairfax county had the same idea! We got onto Georgetown Pike to park at Great Falls, and it was at a standstill. We ended up going back to Montgomery county and hiking up in Damascus for a couple of hours. When we were walking the paved part of the trail, Matt almost stepped on this little guy:

He was about 8-10" long and happily sunning himself. (Update - after some research, we've decided that this guy is a Northern Water Snake, Nerodia sipedon, common subspecies. There's a more closely matched picture here.)

Ordered a new bathing suit for this year's beach trip...only 97 days to go! I was trying to decide between that one and the brown one with white polka dots, but I decided to with the floral since I already have a polka dot bikini.

Went to church on Sunday, and then out to the Mongolian Barbeque in Columbia for lunch with a group from church. I did NOT go run today, because my calves were already killing me from hiking. I figured it might have been a bit optimistic. We did go to PetSmart to pick a prescription for Roxie's ears and to get a Litter Locker for cleaning the litterbox. Also, I think it's hilarious that, while the contraption itself is in the "Home and Garden" category, the refill cartridge bags are in the "Kitchen and Dining" category. Yuck :-)

9 comments:

ccnusbaum said...

Yay for new bathing suits! I keep looking but haven't found any that I'm really interested in. These past few years are the longest I've gone without a new suit, so I think I owe myself at least two. Eric completely disagrees, but he's had the same trunks for ages, so that doesn't count.

Courtney said...

The last one I bought was when you, Randi and I drove all over the Outer Banks looking for a place that sold something other than string bikinis! And don't get me started on Matt, I think he's still got the same one he wore in high school...

Matt Silverthorn said...

Don't fix what ain't broke.

Eric said...

exactly! i think half my wardrobe is from high school. and the other half is my business clothes.

Courtney said...

I'm pretty sure that, other than the bathing suit, Matt no longer has anything left from when he was in high school (the last of it went out in the March closet sweep).

Matt Silverthorn said...

Not true, I have a few T-shirts.

Anonymous said...

First they get rid of the old t-shirts, and you think, "Well, they are old". Next, they tell you to get rid of your jeans. Pretty soon, you trade in your book bag for a man-purse and start shaving your legs. Don't give an inch!

-Seth

Courtney said...

Lol I was the one who finally convinced Matt to get INTO jeans - he wore khakis all through college and like the whole first year we were married. And I would never ask him to shave his legs.

Anonymous said...

That's true. He was already pretty tame upon capture.

-Seth