Sunday, September 06, 2009

Is exercise making us fat?

The answer isn't as simple as you might think: "Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin."

Meanwhile, I swam 400m today. Very, very slowly. I mostly had to stop after each pool length (16 total). I was able to do one full lap without stopping twice (lengths 9-10 and 15-16). I need to get my pool pass at Ft. Detrick and start swimming there; I'm hoping that next time I can at least do each full lap without stopping halfway. Also, although I may look ridiculous, the ear plugs and nose clip and goggles all did their job perfectly.

Going to AM yoga tomorrow (no bible study). Don't know what the rest of the day holds...

4 comments:

Knot said...

I saw that article on CNN.com. I hope it doesn't turn people off of exercising, but rather enlightens them that losing weight is a combination of exercise and eating right. But yes, when you exercise, your body's first reaction is to crave more fuel/food. Reducing portion sizes and eating smaller and more often is so important to losing weight.

Courtney said...

Except therein lies the rub - we're programmed to seek out replacement calories after a large energy expenditure. There are other (major) health benefits to exercise, but in general weight loss doesn't seem to be one of them.

ccnusbaum said...

When I was on my "Must lose 20 lbs or at least turn fat into muscle" kick earlier this year, I made it to the gym, on average, twice a week. I didn't do much -- mixed it up between light jogging and speed walking, threw in some lifting (for tone, not bulk), that sort of thing. But what I found is that I wasn't any more or less hungry after going to the gym. I was, however, hungrier for healthier foods -- I started eating a lot more fruits and stuff like that, instead of my salt & vinegar potato chips (Kettle brand, natch!) I also had a LOT more energy at the end of the day, so I guess it was like a "pay it forward" sort of calorie burning. Additionally, I've always thought that drinking a lot of water is essential in weight loss. Anyway, interesting article.

Eric said...

They should have titled that article: "If you have a desk job, you are fat." The way I read it, the only way to really lose weight is to be active all day. Going to the gym doesn't cut it, and dieting isn't sustainable.