Friday, September 18, 2009

Linky dinky doo

Rubik's dodecahedron - this would make me cry.

A recipe for homemade chai concentrate, in a cartoon. I want to try this!

A poignant article about a former fashion major who ended up as a quadrupal amputee after developing sepsis following a surgery. While not the main point of the article, I couldn't help but shake my head at yet another example of insurance companies' idiocy - they denied coverage for her prosthetic arms, but not her prosthetic hand. So what, is she just supposed to wear the hand on a lanyard around her neck or something?

-----

Yoga tonight was awesome. Volunteering tomorrow morning. I wanted to go hiking at Great Falls tomorrow, but apparently nature got vetoed by VT football. Maybe Sunday after church.

I'm going to be out of my office for half of next week (not all at once). TTC University session on Tuesday and then finishing out the day in Rockville. Morning ethics class in Bethesda on Wednesday (I got my textbook yesterday). Going to a HIV think tank meeting on Friday before heading down to SBC for Homecoming weekend!

I was NOT impressed by the season premier of The Office.

-----

I did bike at the hotel, but the bike was weird - I put it on the "random" setting and instead of changing every 20-30 seconds, it changed every 4 minutes. And I had to put it up to level 13 on the lower intensities to get any kind of resistance, but drop it to about level 8 on the higher intensities (because I just couldn't do that for 4 minutes). I managed 13 miles in 47:36 though...at least I got the miles logged.

I also swam at the hotel, and that was also weird. The pool was shaped like a big J - and the top half of the J was only 2 feet deep! So I tried to do some very short laps across the bottom section, and I tried to do some laps across half the length of the pool (the half that was 5 feet deep) but in either case I was turning around every 8-10 strokes. I ended swimming the full length of the pool, which was still shorter than a regular pool. It's tough to swim freestyle in 24" of water though. I have no idea how far I swam, but I did it fairly consistently for about 30 minutes. Good enough, I guess.

Plus I did yoga with Donna, which was fun :-)

Running 3 miles on Saturday (in hopes of hiking on Sunday).

No comments: