Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day off and other stuff

Yay government holiday! I got to sleep in until about 9:15 today, although I did have a brief moment of waking up at my usual time and thinking I was going to hit the snooze button. I went to the eye doctor, and he confirmed my google diagnosis - it's essentially a "callus" on the white of your eye. He gave me a prescription for steroid eye drops to help with the inflammation, and said that flax seed oil capsules help improve the quality of your natural tears (dry eye = irritation = more redness).

I also got new prescriptions for my contacts (had to go up in strength this time) and an updated eyeglasses prescription. While I was getting that processed, the technician said "If we have the lenses in stock we can put them in your frames in an hour." I replied "I have never been to an eyeglasses place that had my lenses in stock." He said "Well, we do carry a lot of hi-index lenses...I'll check in the back." Turns out they had one lens, but not the other - which doesn't get me glasses any faster. They ordered the other lens and it should be here around Monday.

We grabbed some lunch at Chick-fil-a when I got home. I got the grilled chicken sandwich instead of nuggets, but nothing can keep me from my waffle fries! I also had a side of fruit though. Afterward, we took the cats to the vet for their checkups. Roxie has lost over a pound and is now no longer obese, hooray!

The past few days have been fairly good - did the usual Saturday morning run-around of core + yoga and volunteering, and then we went to Sterling to have dinner with Carly and Eric at Sweetwater and hang out. Did a little shopping, played some trivial pursuit. Sunday we went to a cornfield maze with some of Matt's family (which was actually pretty fun) and then had dinner with them.

I swam yesterday, and finally got to 200m sets! I ended up doing 3 pool lengths freestroke, 1 breaststroke, 2 FS, 1 BS, 1 FS for 200m total x2. With about a 90-second rest in between, that put me at nearly 14 minutes exactly for the 400m. I did my usual extra 400m mix of free, backstroke, and kickboard as well at the end.

I have some coupons etc for CVS and I've been trying to decide which Almay eye makeup set I want to get - the Bright Eyes line or the Play Up the Blues line. (I already have the Bring Out the Blues.) I really like the look of the intense i-color set but I feel like I would get more use out of a more natural look. Choices, choices.

I got ingredients to make yogurt (those being whole milk, and plain yogurt...) I'm excited about this little experiment. And since you can't have yogurt without granola, I also got the ingredients to make Alton Brown's granola recipe. With a few changes - no raisins, and pecans instead of the almond/cashew blend. And adding a little vanilla and cinnamon, because, yum. I think that ought to get it pretty close to the maple pecan granola that Panera Bread uses in their yummy (but expensive) yogurt parfaits.

Looking forward to Saturday - my usual core + yoga and volunteering, and then making my semi-homemade chicken noodle soup for dinner. Kristen's bringing cheesecake, yum. And then the play! I also need to go to K-Mart at some point on Saturday to get stuff for the Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes...those have to be in by Sunday. Ack, Christmas is only 44 days away and I've done NOTHING. Time to get a cookie list together...I have a whole new office to impress with my baking madness!

No comments: