Sunday, April 11, 2010

Conquering the pose

I am trying to learn how to do Salamba Sirsasana - a headstand. I practiced last night with the help of my very trustworthy husband. No sarcasm, he was! I was finally able to get my legs up by myself and hold it for about 1.5 seconds unassisted. My arms really hurt today though!

Other poses I am slowly working towards fully completing: Hanumanasana (monkey pose) and Supta Virasana (reclining hero pose). Surprisingly, the first is proving to be less challenging than the second. I'm also trying to build more upper body strength so I can move through Chaturanga Dandasana without dropping my knees. Someday...

2 comments:

ccnusbaum said...

If you've never in your life been able to do the splits, would there ever be any hope for learning a pose like that monkey pose? Seriously -- I just don't know whether or not yoga is supposed to make you that much more flexible?

Courtney said...

I have never seriously tried before to increase my flexibility...I don't know if I'll be able to do it by the end of the year, or ever, but I am making a conscious effort to try!