Friday, September 10, 2010

Phones

We will be getting new, smarter phones sometime within the next 6 months. The debate between AT&T (iPhone) and Verizon (Droid) rages on. I am starting to lean more towards the iPhone. Not only are AT&T's plans slightly cheaper (because they offer a 550 shared minutes plan, versus Verizon's 700) but I just found out that the Droids are only 16GB - upgrading to a 32GB sim card is about an extra $100. I already exceed 16GB just in music! So with the extra sim card costs, the Droids are the same price as a 32GB iPhone 4 - and the monthly charges would be about $200 less per year with the iPhone.

4 comments:

Knot said...

Wife has a droid. Much better and AT%T nickel and dimes you to death. Verizon is a much better company. Also iPhones are incredibly fragile phones and they don't offer insurance on them. You have to get your own.

Courtney said...

I've never had insurance on electronics (including phones). What do they nickel and dime you on?

I'm not anti-verizon - we've been with them since 2003 and never really had problems. They just don't seem to be offering a competitive product right now.

Eric said...

I really like my HTC Incredible for Verizon. I've not used the Droid X or Droid 2, but I've heard that their interface doesn't run as well or look as nice as the Incredible. Plus the new Droids are huge, and I don't like having something that bulky in my pocket.

When I went to buy the Incredible, I thought it only had 8 GB, so I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually 16 GB. That's plenty of space for me, since I have an iPod Nano for music.

Courtney said...

Eric - yeah, I definitely don't want a slide-out keyboard. And I plan to get an 8GB Nano after I sell my Touch. The phone will be my full library (currently ~21GB) and the Nano will be about 1/2 my music library for running and the gym. That's actually two more points in favor of the iPhone: I'm already familiar with Apple's interface after using the Touch for 2 years, and we don't have to convert any of our .m4a files.