Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sweet lassi

The high point of my day so far is a yummy glass of sweet lassi. There was a super simple recipe in one of my e-mails, that I tweaked slightly. The cardamom is a warm contrast to the cool yogurt, and the vanilla adds a nice flavor:

2/3c each plain yogurt and cold water
1/8tsp ground cardamom
1Tbsp vanilla sugar

Combine in a bowl and whisk until blended and frothy; pour into a glass and enjoy.

*Notes: the original (traditional) recipe called for a drop of rosewater, which I've never used before, and a Tbsp of sugar. I thought the vanilla sugar was a nice variation. You could also use regular sugar and a drop of vanilla or almond extract for a different flavor. It also called for a MUCH higher water:yogurt ratio (4:1). However, my homemade yogurt was pretty thin this time compared with store-bought. I figured I could always add more water, but equal parts turned out to be pretty much spot on for me. If you don't have cardamom (it's expensive) you could substitute cinnamon and/or nutmeg.

(Hours later, I realize I should have made a 'Sweet Sassy Mo-Lassi' joke in the title. Booooooo)

No comments: