Saturday, July 09, 2011

Scratch

Cooking, that is. At least side dishes. I had previously been making a lot of frozen veggies to go along with our Let's Dish meals (steamed broccoli and steamed green beans with almonds were our two favorites). It was easy to throw a package in the microwave while I was cooking something else.

A few months ago I tried a delivery from South Mountain Veggies with a Groupon, and we really liked it. We're getting weekly deliveries of fresh, local, organically grown produce now - it's been delicious, but typically requires a lot more work than just tossing something into the microwave!

So I've had to get a little more creative than our previous repertoire. Some things are easy enough - simple pan-saute on zucchini and summer squash, toss some blanched green beans with lemon and olive oil, sliced tomato with salt and pepper, yummy salads.

This week's bag was sweet corn (yum), blueberries (yum), lettuce (salad!), carrots, new potatoes, summer squash, zucchini, and white peaches (tried them, tasty, but I still like nectarines better). I've currently got the corn boiling, and am making smashed new potatoes - not to be confused with mashed potatoes! You boil the potatoes, then smash them with a glass. Drizzle with olive oil (the original recipe said 1Tbsp per side, but that seemed like a LOT of oil - I used about a half tsp per side per potato). Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and herbs (I used garlic powder, parsley and thyme) and bake in a screaming hot oven (450-475) for about 20 minutes.

I made maple dill carrots last week which were very yummy and I'd do again!

My tomato plant has about 8 little tomatoes, and the first one is finally starting to look a little more yellow than green. The basil and parsley seem to be doing well, and I think there might be some kind of wild berries (raspberries?) growing on our road so I think I'll have to check that out.

Update: I just looked this morning and I think they're currants. I have no idea what to do with a currant. Boo.

No comments: