Saturday, December 03, 2011

Distance Record

I ran 9.3 miles today, for a new distance record! I finished in 1:32:57. I do have to admit that as I crossed the finish line, the idea of running nearly 4 more miles (to complete a half marathon) made me cringe. But it should be much more seasonable when I do that...

I will probably focus my next 8-10 weeks on HRM training - 3-4 mile runs twice a week, keeping heart rate below 155. I was in the 170s during today's race, with a few hill spikes into the 180s, so I've got plenty of room for aerobic improvement. It's just so humbling, because last time I tried (during triathlon training) I had to slow down to a 13-minute mile. I'll also do HIIT once a week; I know it's good for me...it's just so hard :-)

As far as I'm concerned, the half will be my ultimate distance record. I think I like the 5-10K distance best. I'll focus on speed work after that, since I want to run a 10K under 60 minutes (which would require me to run a 9:39 split) and beat my 5K record of 28:39 (a 9:13 split).

Only 115 more miles to go until I can get my 500 mile shirt!

No comments: