Sunday, March 25, 2012

Lifting geek

So I started New Rules of Lifting for Women back in September. Did a way extended stage 1 (14 weeks, normally 8 weeks) and then 5 weeks each for stages 2 and 3 instead of 4 weeks. I'm really jonesing to start the lifting program I designed myself though. So, executive decision! I'm only going to do 3 weeks on stage 4 and 2 weeks on stage 5, and then start my own lifting schedule 3x a week right after the half marathon (when I don't have to run 4x a week).

I still kept most of the principles from NROLW in creating my own plan - open with a big compound move, then alternate either a "push" or a "pull" with a leg exercise. I basically took my favorite exercises from NR and threw out what I didn't like. I added alternating sets of an ab and a targeted arm exercise at the end, because those are my vanity areas :-)

So here are my three workouts. Everything is 3 sets of 6 reps unless noted, and the lifting is followed by 20 minutes of LISS (low-intensity steady state) cardio, HR 60-70% of my max (the "fat-burning zone").

Workout A
Barbell Squat in straight sets
Alternate sets of Bench Press and Step Ups
Alternate sets of Overhand Lat Pulldown and Dumbbell Snatch
Alternate sets of Lateral Raises and Russian Twist (15 reps)

Workout B
Barbell Deadlift in straight sets
Alternate sets of Dumbbell Shoulder Press and One-Leg Squat
Alternate sets of Underhand Pulldown and Lunges
Alternate sets of Barbell Curl and Knee Raise (15 reps)

Workout C
Front Squat/Push Press combo in straight sets
Alternate sets of Romanian Deadlift and Pushups (10 reps)
Alternate sets of Sumo Squat and Barbell Row
Alternate sets of Bench Dip and Bicycle Crunch (15 reps)

I'll be dropping running to 2x a week after the half marathon - one speed run on the treadmill where I'll run at the 9:30 mile pace and gradually increase the distance to the full 10K, and one distance run where I'll just run the full 10K. After the 10K in August that I hopefully complete in under an hour, I'll drop scheduled running for a while and focus pretty much entirely on fat-burning LISS cardio with a small amount of HIIT thrown in. Diet-wise I plan to alternate 6 weeks of deficit (200-300 calories a day) with 2 weeks of eating at or slightly above maintenance for three cycles between May and October. The two week periods of maintenance eating conveniently happen to encompass our OBX vacation and my birthday ;-)

42 days until the half marathon and new plan implementation!

No comments: