Thursday, December 27, 2012

Year in Review 2012

Wow, that was a lot of dead air, huh? But I wouldn't let the year slip away entirely without my Year In Review post. It was kind of crazy when I opened up last year's and read stuff about moving, because it feels like that was SO long ago already. And now we're getting ready to move again!

1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before? Ran a half marathon! Deadlifted more than my bodyweight! Bought a single family home!

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I got my 500 Mile t-shirt! I didn't win the fitness award, but I'm trying again this year and am way ahead of where I was at this point last year. My goals for next year are to lose body fat, especially on my thighs! Going for below 18% and an inch off each thigh. And to get some money back into savings, since I've been used to having a large cushion for several years.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Alyssa (our niece Olivia), Carly (Sonya), Amber (Chloe), Emily (Charlotte), and Sarah (Kyle). The girls are still outnumbering the guys by a good margin!

4. Did anyone close to you die? I don't think so

5. What countries did you visit? Mexico, Jamaica, and Bermuda, and Haiti for the third time.

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012? HOT TUB

7. What date from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Bought our house on December 10th! And I got my new job offer just three days before that. It was a crazy weekend :-)

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? New job, finally! It only took a year...

9. What was your biggest failure? Relatively minor, but I kind of sucked hard at my first yoga teacher attempt. I hope I'll get better.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? I think I was injury and illness free this year (knock on wood, as there's still 5 days left...)

11. What was the best thing you bought? We bought a house!

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? I really appreciated our realtor not questioning decisions we had already made for ourselves, such as how much house we could afford, getting a 15 year mortgage, and the fact that we didn't care about school districts.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? The vocal part of the GOP, particularly the vocal evangelical christian part

14. Where did most of your money go? We wrote a check equal to 2/3 of my salary to close on the house.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Three-point-five vacations! Long weekend in Annapolis in March, OBX in June, cruises over Labor Day and Veterans Day.

16. What song will always remind you of 2012? 'Some Nights' by fun.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? happier!
ii. thinner or fatter? slightly fatter
iii. richer or poorer? richer!

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Cardio. I slacked off there after my birthday race, and that's when the weight started to come back on.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Sharing walls with neighbors. Soooooon....

20. How will you be spending Christmas? We went to my mom's for Olivia's first xmas - I think she was a little overwhelmed. Awesome food as always, though.

21. How will you be spending New Year's Eve? Same same with Matt's fam in NoVa - it's the one event we can count on them well in advance to plan and execute

22. Did you discover any great new websites in 2012? Fitness Black Book

23. How many weddings? Three, all local and well spaced (thanks guys!) - Mike and Katherine in March, Tito and Kelly in August, and Matt and Lawrie in November

24. What was your favorite TV program? The Voice and Next Food Network Star were both fall favorites this year

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Parents who let their child scream endlessly

26. What was the best book you read? 'How Yoga Works' was pretty neat.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery? Avett Brothers, The Head and the Heart, fun

28. What did you want and get? A paid off car! And though I didn't think it was coming for a long time, a house! And also Rosetta Stone Italian so we can start learning the language for our Mediterranean cruise in a few more years :-)

30. What was your favorite film of this year? Argo

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? 3.1 for 31! Eight people joined me for the Leesburg 5K, and then we ate cupcakes! And then we went out to dinner with friends at Don Pablos again, where they again made me wear the giant sombrero (and gave me free sopapillas).

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Getting my new job in August instead of December

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? Same as always - business casual during the week, gym clothes in the evening, casual on the weekends.

34. What kept you sane? Meeting short term goals

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Adam Levine, but I wish he'd get some of his tattoos removed :-)

36. What political issue stirred you the most? Old white men attempting to legislate women's health issues

37. Who did you miss? Jim! Come back from California plz. I'm putting a gym in my new basement...

38. Who were the best new people you met? Kelly, Abby, Chris, Sonja and Roberta in my teacher training group!

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012: Run ALL the numbers. I didn't realize until I did all the math that buying a house now with 10% down (and paying a little PMI) still had a lower total cost than buying the same house 3 years from now with 20% down, when interest rates and housing prices pretty much have no where to go but up.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: "Our house is a very, very fine house with two cats in the yard, life used to be so hard, Now everything is easy cause of you" - CSNY

(8 years and counting! YIR 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005)

1 comment:

Little Speck said...

Yeah! Glad you are back