Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Forgiveness

I've struggled with the evangelical flavor of Christianity that was a part of our lives for a number of years, partly because of internal conflicts and partly because I don't want to be associated with a lot of what I see that also identifies with the evangelical flavor of Christianity (read: a large part of the GOP, for starters). But experientially I remain convinced that there is something bigger than myself and this world. I read Rob Bell's book "Love Wins" when it came out and was really drawn to the idea of Christian Universalism; unfortunately there are very few churches that openly teach this and after my negative experience with a local non-denominational church when we first moved to Virginia, I more or less gave up on actually finding a church.

Anyway, that's just a bit of background for this next bit. I had seen one of those silly Facebook share pictures today that said "Type yes if Jesus has forgiven your sins" and I immediately thought "Why does anyone need permission to forgive someone?" If you hurt me, I can choose to forgive you whether you want me to or not. I don't need to go to you and say "I'll forgive you if you say it's okay for me to forgive you." Or "I'll forgive you if you ask me to." Forgiveness isn't an expression of the person who has done something wrong, it's an expression of the person who has been wronged.

1 comment:

Matt Silverthorn said...

That is a very interesting point.